Photography

When I was in 8th grade we studied the Great Depression and in our History book they had this picture. I remember that day, it's an odd thing to remember, but there you go. I, however, know that the reason I remember it was because it was my first time ever being really taken by a photograph. The moment when I realized how amazing a picture was. As if that day (Black Tuesday) of fear and excitement and trepidation and everything else was captured forever in a single image. All those lives of all those people that would be forever altered by that newspaper they are reading frozen in time.

The other thing that really impressed me about this picture was the guy right next to the one holding the paper. He's not looking at the paper, he's looking at the camera. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but I absolutely fell in love with him when I saw this photo. I've often wondered who he was, what happened to him, whether he survived. I will admit that I photocopied this picture out of my book and had it on my wall for a very long time, just because of that man.

So now, years later I still get a bit of a rush from this picture. I love photography. If you look in my blog roll there is this one link Abiqutie, I don't know who she is, but I love the images of Palestine that she captures. My little sister likes to take pictures and she's pretty good; I've been really lucky that she practices on my children because I get some pretty wonderful photo's.

And for me it all comes down to the thought that a moment is captured. Thoughts, feelings, lives, histories all culminating (and progressing past) one image. To me it is one of the most exciting things in life.

Do you have something that just moves you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer