Family Gossip

So my brother calls me the other day (he'll kill me for blogging this) and says all casual like, "Heard any family rumors lately?"

Yeah, right, like my brother ever calls and asks that. I mean, sure, he's always the last one to know but that's not because he makes an effort to be the first one to know, so to have him ask that sent up red flags in every direction and I snatched at it.

"Why, what have you heard!?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, I know you have."

"I can't tell you. If you don't know I can't say anything, I just wanted someone to talk about it with cause it's really disturbed me. If you don't know, you don't want to know."

"Woah."

"I'm sorry I brought it up, don't try to figure it out, okay."

So, I've not tried, in fact I hardly care if they want to tell me then fine, but I'm sick of being the 'gate-keeper' as my dear counselor called it. The one who all the information goes through and who everyone calls to vent to. I'm not going to worry about it. But I do have to say that those bits he gave me are enough to send the most gossip abhorring person through the roof. What the heck does he know!?

It's very unusual for him to know anything before me. How odd, how tiring, when I called my little sister to drill her real quickly she chuckled and said, "You guys are terrible. This is exactly why I don't talk to most everyone, besides if I had anything that juicy you'd be the first to know."

She's right, we are terrible. I've been saying for years that family secrets are a plague for us and I'm sick of them. Especially now that I'm trying not to be the gate-keeper. I've got to make a deliberate effort to say 'Why don't you talk to them about that, I'm sure it would be much more helpful.'

*sigh* Gossip is exhausting.

Comments

Jennifer said…
ROTFLOL

Well, I have no idea, either. :D Good for you for not being the gatekeeper! Woo-hoo!
Lisa said…
In our family, once Granny knows... everyone knows. I've often said to my mom, "Don't tell Granny!"

Every time I see that woman she runs through a mental list of all the latest info. I know way more than I ever wanted to know about my extended family.

Good for you... but gossip is hard to try and get away from. It's almost like an addiction.
Anonymous said…
And they say guys don't gossip. We women know better don't we. Good for you Charity, to not pull it out of him. Even if it's something that you won't want to know after they tell you it's hard not to find out when it's presented like that.
I makes me laugh that you tried to pry info from your sister. I would have too.
Anonymous said…
I have no idea either, so, if you, myself, Jen and Elise don't know...who is it about?

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer