Skip to main content

Enough with the Email Forwards!

I'm sure you all get them. Those forwards from friends and family that you never read (wait, or are you a sender of these?).

I find that these emails can be classified into four very simple categories:
Rude, Crass, Inaccurate, or Absurd (variations of each groups title may be needed... Rude might be defamatory, absurd can be exchanged for absolutely ridiculous, etc).

So yesterday I got this email that made my blood boil. I'll bold my least favorite of my part.


As most of you know, Obama made a public announcement
> > that he is going to sign the Freedom Of Choice Act, which
> > will allow all types of abortions including partial birth
> > abortions, also allowing babies who are born alive due to
> > botched up late term abortions, to be set aside without any
> > medical care or nourishment and left to die
(most of these
> > babies have no medical problems and most of the ones that
> > do, have things like clef pallets, club feet, things that
> > are correctable, still they are murdered in the most cruel
> > and inhuman way. They feel everything that is happening to
> > them. There is more mercy for dogs that are put to sleep)
> > This Bill also will make it mandatory for doctors and nurses
> > to perform this murderous act even if they do not want to do
> > so. This act also allows under age teens to have an
> > abortion, even partial birth abortions, without parental
> > consent.


Are we so absolutely uneducated about how our government works that people actually believe that would happen!? I want to know what person reads that and believes it?

Let's review why it would be absolutely INACCURATE to say that a law will be passed allowing babies to be set aside and left to die.

1. It's murder. There's no way around that. The child is alive, it's breathing and it is now covered under the constitution.
a. People have been tried for double homicide in cases where the mother was eight months pregnant. (Lacy Peterson trial)

2. The absolute uproar that would occur across the country if Obama announced an act that allowed such things would be so loud that I'm sure you would have heard about it long before some forward made it to your inbox.

3. This idea that the nation is going to go to hell in a hand basket because the Democrats hold so much power is really a little over the top. Are we suggesting that all Democrats think exactly the same way and that there is no room for personal, religious, or political motivations to do other than follow the group. Do the people who write, read, and propagate these emails know what a Blue Dog Democrat is? (probably not since this is reason #3 and not #1) Or for that matter a Christian Democrat (I know some of you find it hard to believe that Dem's can be both of those things at the same time but I'm telling you I'm living proof).

4. Supreme Court rulings on cases like Roe v. Wade or Planned Parenthood v. Casey have layed out pretty plainly when 'viability of the fetus' is and I can guarantee that none of them has said it's ten minutes after the baby is born.

5. Hmm, can we say Partial Birth Abortion Ban Act? You don't just toss out old laws in lieu of new ones it doesn't work that way. There is way to much political wrangling going on for it to be that easy.

6. And this should be the doozey for those believers of mass forwarded emails. There's this place online called Snopes.com and if you would go there and look it will tell you the validity of the email you are receiving, it's an amazing place that is ever so helpful in allowing people to not look bad in front of those who would otherwise call them peers.

Okay so those are my reasons. If you go to the snopes link you will find information about the Freedom of Choice Act, in fact you will find that it has been floating around for several years now and has yet to be codified into law. I really have to reiterate to everyone who reads my blog that I it's a sad sad day when the people of our nation can be duped by something so blatantly outside of our constitutional rights as this is.

I know I've had several arguments of late with family members (and other's) who would like to argue that certain laws that have come up for vote of recent are on the brink of forcing our religions into darkness. I'd like to state plainly once again that I have far more faith in the constitution of this country than to think any law put into place--that so blatantly disregards our basic freedoms--would be shot down by the US Supreme Court. If it even got that far! Our country is not so far gone.

I could really get off topic here but I have more faith in my government, more faith in the people of this nation than to possibly believe that we would stand aside and allow our leaders to make laws that tossed aside babies! Please, please, please think before you forward emails because in all honesty it's as bad as gossiping.

Comments

Ivy said…
Amen!!!!!!!!!
As you know, I am most absolutely not democrat but i get really sick of people sending that crap around (mostly family). Then not only are they annoying about making sure they forward you their stupid emails then they develop theories about the impending disasters that are coming and scare their children. Their children then scare your children and no matter what you say they will believe cousin's because they are obviously smarter than their mom.
And what happened to political process?? Apparently for these people it doesn't exsist. Last time i checked the idea of our democratic nation is that if you don't like something that is going on, you can stand up and make your voice heard. But apparently unfounded, rediculous emails are the only way that they stand up to be heard. Why check it out when you can just be led by fear and anger.
But i have to agree that it's not just the stupid political emails that are irritating. I would agree with the way you have catagorized these forward and personally i find all of them irritating and i usually delete them without looking at them.
Claire Wessel said…
I hardly ever read those forwards. I used to just tell people to check snopes first but after they ignore it and keep sending junk, I just started deleting them.

My former senator in CA (Barbara Boxer) has actually suggested that infanticide up to two days of age should be okay. *sigh*

Anyways, people are going to do what they are going to do, legal or illegal. I know a lot of people I know are not happy about Obama and I'm not exactly a believer in his hope and change, change and hope stuff, but I am a believer in our Constitution. I grew up under Ezra Taft Benson and I have a fine appreciation for this document. I can say that my proudest moment as an American in the last 8 years was hearing that Obama's planning to shut down Guantanamo.

As far as have a Dem in power, I just hope he keeps his likeability factor going on because I am totally leeching off the government for at least the next five years and I need everyone's taxes still!! (Heck most the married students in Vermillion are in the same situation and they STILL are against him!)

Popular posts from this blog

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

This was my week two craft for So You Think You're Crafty. I placed third that week for this one. I thought you might enjoy finding out how I made it.


I tried about a million different decorations before settling on one that didn't drown out my rings. I wanted them to the focal point. This is also why I went with black fabric and not something more vivid.

Don't be intimidated by the lack of 101 I'm giving you. It really is a straight forward sort of project. If you know how to use a glue gun without burning yourself you can do this. Just be sure to dust off your imaginative brain space first. :)

The one important thing you might be wondering is how I got the pink fabric to stick to the shoe. I really just Mod Podged it on.

There are several different ways to make ring tubes that you can find online. One I saw used that colored foam paper stuff that you find in the kids craft section. I thought that might have been easier, but I had scraps of batting lying around so I …

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

The problem with Anthropologie is that they cost way too much money. WAY TOO MUCH! I mean, come on--these book boxes:

Cost $68-$188!

Do you have that kind of money?

I don't, but you know what I do have? I have a library with a cart full of free books that no one really cares about! So guess what I did... I made my own (and then I gave them away because I really don't have anywhere to put them).

Here's how.
















What do you think?

Car-Seat Cover Tutorial

Choose your fabric. It's fine to buy something a little cheaper for the back, since no one is going to see it. In fact I got both of these fabric pieces in the clearance section at Wal-Mart. You will also need, matching thread, batting for the middle, and binding for the edges. And alot of pins.


Take your old car seat cover and lay it flat on the paper you've chosen to use. You will have several sections you need to trace: A top, a bottom, and any sides or overhanging areas.


Now draw around the first section of the layed out car seat.. Generally speaking you can assume that the binding is hiding your seam so you don't need to make an allowance for it, but be aware that the issue might arise.


Be sure to mark any parts that lie on the inside of the pattern, like strap holes and any extra stitching.


Your patterns will start looking something like this.


When you cut out your pattern sections, remember to write what each line is for, and cut any holes so you can m…