Helium and Other Floating Gases

Cosmic question #1

How is Helium affected by gravity? It doesn't seem to be at all, I mean you stick a bunch of Helium in a balloon and away it goes! So how?

Ralexwin says it's like oil in water... oil is still pulled downward by gravity yet because it is lighter than water so it floats.

So, following that thought process, if you take oil out of water then oil falls. Okay, I get that, so if you take Helium out of air does Helium fall?

And has anyone ever tried that?

It's one of those questions I come up with every once in a while that people look at me and say, "Where the heck did that come from?"

I don't know, but it's bothering me now.

Comments

Ethan said…
Hope this helps.
http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/helium.asp

Inside of the balloon, if their is any gases besides hydrogen and helium, they would be at the bottom of the balloon because they are heavier.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer