Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

We're all narcissists--all lovers of our own reflection. There used to be this commercial on TV that showed a guy walking past the reflective window of a business building. He stops, turns to his reflection and begins dancing... watching himself the entire time. The camera zooms back to show the inside of the building where a group of people sit in a meeting room and stare at him in amusement. It's a very funny commercial.

In our house we have a big mirror that used to be in the bathroom (it's big...as big as a dresser) I didn't like it in the bathroom so I made
Ralexwin take it down for me. Ever since then it has been propped up against the wall in our bedroom (he doesn't want to get rid of it... I don't want to decorate with it and I will admit it's pretty handy).

It's an eye catcher if there ever was one. No one walks past it without checking themselves in it. The kids are the worst. This morning
Albowin was tirading about us enforcing his school attendance. He stood in our room yelling at the top of his lungs... staring at his reflection.

"I don't want to go to school."
Stare, stare, stare. "School is boring!" Stare, stare, stare.
Ralexwin finally leaned over and looked in the mirror too. "Who are you yelling at?"

I catch myself doing the same thing. If I am getting dressed or folding clothes and conversing with
Ralexwin I will stare at my reflection until he says something like, "I'm over here."

He seems to be the only one immune to it. He's like
Faramir in Lord of the Rings (the book, thank you) who isn't swayed by the power of the One Ring. That's Ralexwin and mirror's. He uses them to make sure he looks acceptable and then he moves on.

No narcissism in him.

I wonder what sort of personality isn't swayed by the lure of a reflection. I should move the mirror into the living room and test my friends.

Comments

Polly Blevins said…
That was a fun post. When Cole was 3 months old I worked at a gym. The ceiling was mirrors where the cashier was. If he would get cranky, I would put him on his back and let him look at the mirror ceiling. It would entertain him for an hour.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer