A Game of Checkers

This is a project I've been meaning to show you guys for quite a while (understatement of the century).

I've never managed to get a good picture of it before the other day, though, so I'm going to blame my procrastination on my lack of a decent camera (until the other day).

Please ignore dripping something-something on the side.
Alright, so back-story--my friend and I found this sewing table on the side of the road... machine still inside... and I brought it home to see what I could do with it.

I love sewing tables. They have so much potential for hidden storage that I find myself hard pressed to resist their siren call.

This baby was no different. She was in pretty good shape with only a little jerry-rigging going on (read: duct taped hinges).

So what did I do? Moved the hinges to the back. Then I added a little surprise on the inside and what you get is a perfect little--

Ta-Da!


Checker board! Or Chess if you prefer.

What I did:

#1: After sanding it down (and taking some wood filler on the jerry-rigged hinges) I used some tiny bottles of acrylic paint--the kind you find in the craft section-- to paint it. The brown I watered down a bit to give it the stained look.

#2: The gorgeous piece of paper is mod-podged to the top.

#3: I screwed two pieces of wood to the bottom of the inside (close together) then used a stencil a friend of mine had to make the game board. This wasn't to hard, but I did have to saw out some extra space to make the board stencil fit all the way, I just used a hand saw.

#4: Roughed it up a little with my handy-dandy sander (present from the hubs ::wink, wink::). A few coats of lacquer and what I had was a hot household item!

Albowin can be found here on any day that I've banned him from the computer. Does he play checkers? Sometimes, but more often than not the pieces become characters in some imaginary game only he knows the rules to. He can spend hours sitting at this desk, but when he's done...

...closed she goes, and what she holds nobody knows.

I have secrets.
As for the sewing machine, it's still sitting in my garage daring me to do something with it.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's a great idea. It turned out very well!!

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer