Make It Do--Or Do Without

The new catch-phrase around our home has become 'Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.'

Since the school year is coming up on us so quickly we've (read: I've) been working extra hard to find ways for the things that we do have to last one more year. Here's an example:



These sweatpants have been a part of Vicbowin's life for nearly three years now. I bought them when they were on clearance, but they were to big around her waist...so she wore a safety pin in them.

When the safety pin was finally able to come out, she spent some time wearing them just like they were meant to be worn, with a great big number 12 crawling up the leg.

This week we pulled out all of her clothes to see what we had and needed and she announced that the worn out #12 was ugly and she didn't want the pants anymore.

Other than the faded design, they are in great shape. I asked if I could play with them a little before we decided to get rid of them. She agreed and this is what I came up with.

If you look closely you can see the #2 peaking out under the bottom flower.
Vicbowin is in love. I am officially the coolest mom in the world. And I just saved myself probably $10 on new pants.

What I had to do was rip the seam up the inside of the leg (like this) to get at that top section. Then I just added flower embellishments and leaves (the leaves were an attempt to further hide the numbers). Finally I stitched everything back up and voila!

I'm very pleased with myself, but the truth is I've spent the better part of a day altering, patching, and re-purposing anything that looked salvageable. I'm tired now.

Comments

Cynthia said…
Cute! Ah...I wish I was more crafty...maybe someday when I have a 12 year old, right?

Thanks for your kind words on my blog the other day too! We are excited ;^)
Myya said…
Yay! How fun. Always so great when you can keep getting use out of something that is still useable! Oh by the way... I like the way your new header is set up. The pictures pop out so much more :)
Cannwin said…
Myya- Thanks, the other header was cute but I didn't like how much space it took up. So I worked on this one forever, it's not perfect but it'll do for now. :) I'm glad you like it.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer