Good Friday

My mom, my sister Emarfar, and myself with a bad haircut.
Today is Good Friday. The day that we use to commemorate the crucifixion of Christ.

Interestingly, my children do not have school today. Which, of course, means they woke up earlier than they do on a school day.

So, my mother and I were talking about Easter the other night and we decided something. It is strange that we celebrate the birth of Christ on the same day every year and then celebrate his death on a rotating schedule.

Do you know how we decide what day Easter is on? It's very Pagan .... all about the moon and spring and such.

Easter falls on the first Sunday AFTER the first full moon AFTER the vernal equinox.

The reason I know this is because a few years back Easter fell really close to St. Patrick's Day (Mar. 23, 2008). I couldn't remember this ever happening before so I looked it up.

Anyway, everyone is home today and grounded from all screens (for waking up and screaming at each other at 6:55AM).

It's rainy, and cold and just plain blah outside. But at least there's an Easter egg-hunt and potluck later tonight at our church. That'll help.

Comments

deila taylor said…
Thanks for the info, I find that so interesting about the dating of Easter. I kind of like the study of cosmology -- Enjoy your egg hunt and eat some for me!
Anonymous said…
your pacifier holder was cute, and as we all know...it doesn't matter whether you win or lose....! just wanted to say that practically everything about Easter IS pagan, look it up! (I am a Christian)
Cannwin said…
@Anonymous

:) I'll have too. I love the reason for the holiday, and I love celebrating it at church and singing all those wonderful praises, but I admit that the Easter Bunny bugs me as much as the candy and the egg dying and everything. Seriously? How is that remembering the Atonement?

I'll have to investigate further.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer