The Long Haul: A Moving Story

I've managed to wrangle some of my most loyal followers into posting for me. This dear girl is A Goddess In Progress and has honored me with 4 whole posts. Take the time to honor her by commenting and hopping on over to her blog afterward. -Cannwin




Photobucket
Our truck was loaded down with all the random things that didn’t make the boxes.
Our dog, Koda, sat in the backseat, her tongue hanging out of her head, making a puddle on the back seat. August in Arizona is hot.

I was saying my last goodbyes to my family, and trying very hard not to cry. I knew that this day was going to come. I had known it for years. It’s what happens when you marry a man in uniform –and one from another state at that. There was no question in my mind that this is what was intended for me, and for us. We were beginning our first real adventure together. It was sad and excited and anxious and brave and nervous all rolled together and wrapped in anticipation.

Next thing I knew, we were on the road, and Arizona was disappearing in the rear-view mirror. I don’t consider Utah a “long haul” move. It’s a day’s drive or an hour’s flight from my hometown. It did, however, represent the life I have chosen, the life of a Military Wife. It’s a life of sacrifice and reward. It’s a life of making friends and then saying goodbye to those friends. It’s a life that requires courage.

We rolled into Utah tired, but hopeful that this chapter would be a good one. And it was. Within a few weeks we found a place to live –a darling little house, on a darling little street, with neighbors that were neighborly.

Of course, we’ve moved again since then, but that first move was the biggest one.
Having Hubby, though, makes whatever sacrifice is necessary worth it. On days like this one, when he is half a world away, and I am listening to the baby cry because he doesn’t want to take a nap, I remind myself “Sacrifice brings forth the blessing of heaven.” I’m proud of my man who loves his country enough to serve it in this way. Him and me, we’re in it for the long haul.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer