Who Says We’re Not Professionals?

The other night I found myself engaged in a hefty discussion about whether or not ballet was considered a sport. It was a rather frustrating conversation since the men in the group had all agreed not five minutes before that Ping Pong was a sport.


How!!?, the women argued, is ballet--which is a far more intensive activity than ping pong--not considered a sport!?


It seems like a common theme throughout womanhood. Frequently the things we perform, create, work at and enjoy are considered 'art.'


The art of homemaking.
The art of cooking.
The art of dancing, singing, laughing, mothering.


Rarely is art thought of as a professional activity. 


And what does it all come down to?


Money.


Profession: (of a person) Engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.


So... essentially, your babysitter or nanny is a professional, but you aren't.


This makes me think back to the Ping Pong player v. the Ballet Dancer.


An average Ping Pong game lasts 10 minutes. The Swan Lake Ballet Performance lasts 3 hours.


Who's working harder here?


The average babysitter is 2-3 hours (wouldn't you say?). The average run of motherhood is around 60 years.


Hmm.


I'm trying to wrap my brain around this contradiction.


Well, I say I'm a professional even if I don't get paid. Because, to me, professionalism comes with how competent, committed, and capable you are at your job... not how much you get paid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer