Interview With Evelyn


So I got a hold of my dear friend Evelyn (from Hanging by a Silver Lining) and convinced her that we should do another blog swap this year. We'll call it our 2nd Annual Swap and see if there is a 3rd in store. I love swapping with Evelyn. She's funny, she's whitty, she's nice--what more could a person ask for!
This year we decided to start out with a good old fashioned interview. Read on, and enjoy getting to know her a little better. :)


What was the spark that generated the idea that drove you to start your blog?
It was actually my husband who pushed me to start a blog. (And never has a man regretted telling his wife to give something a try as Joe has.) He would often read others’ blogs and say “You should do this. You would be good at this.”
I am pretty computer-stupid and had no idea how to even start one much less maintain it. He was the one that had to start it for me. Once he did I took it from there. And have been “taking it there” for about two and a half years now. Thank you to my dear husband for giving me something I enjoy doing immensely. Even if he shakes his head and mutters in disgust every time he hears the four letter “b” word.
What do you find most challenging about blogging?
Finding the time to dedicate to the blog and balance it with the time it takes to still be a good mom. I’m an all or nothing kind of gal and if I devote myself to something, I do it whole heartedly. (Read this as “obsessively”.) If I’m parenting, I’m there 100%. If I’m blogging I want to be there 100%. It’s hard for me to find the balance. Also I’m terrible at reading others’ blogs. I just don’t have the time to blog AND read. The guilt from this drives me batty.
How do you keep coming up with material for your blog?
My kids. They say and do the most hilarious thing as children often do. Just when I think I’ve run out of ideas I turn around to find noodles on the wall orpiles of laundry where I had just finished the laundry or my son sitting at the table with a construction helmet on.
What piece of literature or media has inspired you throughout your life?
“I could no sooner pick a favorite child!” (I think I read that in a book once…) I have held a great esteem for the written word since I was very young. I can’t seem to read something without pulling it into my day to day life and my own writing. This can be a real problem if I’m reading something intensely depressing or scary.
If I had to pick one though…I would say the Dear Abby column. I read it for years and it intrigued me so that people would ask a perfect stranger to solve their problems. And what problems! Reading Dear Abby everyday felt like hearing the juiciest gossip. It was once my dream to replace Abby when she retired.
Name some of the bloggers whom you look up to and why?
I idolize CJane along with the rest of you. She’s amazing, isn’t she?
I love The Noisy Plume. She has created this beautiful little world for herself and I’m incredibly jealous and amazed all once.
Carrie at the Rowdy Stroudys is another favorite. She has such a feisty, creative, wonderful soul that just eeks out of her words. I’ve never met her in person but I love her dearly.
And then of course there’s The Great and Random Cannwin, one of the most faithful and diverse bloggers I know. I’m always honored to be associated with her.
What is the ultimate goal for your blog?
At this point in my life, I’m really not sure. I thought I wanted fame and fortune from my blogging, but with the arrival of my fourth baby, Cee, I have struggled to stay on top of my blog. As she grows older I am curious to see how I feel about blogging, but for now…It is what it is: Random, sometimes boring, sometimes clever, often apologetic, but always ever grateful for the good friends that come commenting along, and definitely a creative outlet that I am terribly proud of.
What skills do you bring to the Super Mom table?
Dinner.
If you could have lunch with anybody, living or deceased, who would it be?
Is this where I’m supposed to say Jesus or Oprah or Kermit the Frog or something incredibly clever or intelligent or devoted? Sometimes I think I would just love to have lunch by myself.
Ever been to another country or state that you liked better then where you currently live?
I haven’t had the opportunity to travel much. Someday I hope. Even if I do become a world traveler I am and will always be an Idaho girl at heart. Every time we go home to visit I wonder why I ever left.
What are you doing with yourself if you’re not blogging or actively mothering?
Feeling guilty that I’m not actively mothering. Playing Hidden Objects games on Facebook. Exercising. Organizing something. Sleeping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer