Lights On... Lights Off... Lights On... Lights Off (look closely)

So the other day I was in the shower when I heard the distinct sound of a stool being scooted into the bathroom. It's my little baby whose discovered that if he has a stool he can turn the switches on the walls.

Click.

The fan goes on.

Click.

The lights go off. I briefly think that maybe I could reach the curtain rod and open them so I can see better.

Click.

The fan goes off.

Click.

Have you ever had one of those experiences when you're trying to relax and someone just keeps interrupting you?

Click.

Have you ever been reading a book (or taking a shower) and no matter what you do you just aren't getting left alone.

Click.

I drop the soap on my foot and try not to swear, or smile.

Click.

Do you have babies in your home? The ones that are about 18 months old and find the greatest joy in discovering things, like lights.

Click.

And switches.

Click.

And fans.

Click.

“Baby!” I holler, laughing.

Click.
“Mama?”

Click.

There's the pitter patter of feet. Silence. I'm waiting... nothing.... Finally I shout.

Click.

“Mama?”

“Go play, baby.”

There's the sounds of lips smacking. Then the screeching of a stool against linoleum and a distant...

Click.

I sigh, wondering which light switch he's testing now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's like an episode of The Simpsons when Homer is in the hospital bed waiting for his bypass surgery:

"Bed goes up"

"Bed goes down"

"Bed goes up"

"Bed goes down"
Lisa said…
I love it, but I don't.

I know I'll miss it someday, but not today.

As soon as we step away from the computer chair she's on it. I think she waits around the corner.

Next thing I hear is banging on the key board.
Cannwin said…
hey, did anyone catch that you have to highlight the parts where the lights are off? I thought that was rather clever, but no one has said anything so maybe it was TOO clever. ;) So did you notice?

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer