Urban Legends

"Mom?"

"Yes dear."

"Ayana told me that there's this guy who works at the park that yells at you if you go into the foresty part."

"Oh, yeah."

"Yeah, but mom."

"Yes dear?"

"Ayana says that he yells at you to get out of there and then he says... 'Say goodbye'... then he shoots you!"

"Honey, that's not true."

"Ayana says it is."

"Well Ayana's wrong."

"No she isn't, she said it happened to her friend."

"I doubt it."

"Why?"

"Because the police would arrest him."

"But mom, she says the Mayor hired him!"

"He didn't."

"It scares me mom. Why would he want to shoot little kids!?"

"It's not true honey."

"It is! We saw him."

"Honey, I can imagine there might be someone who works at the park that doesn't like kids playing in some places... like the baseball field... but he's not gonna go around shooting people."

"Why not?"

"Because the police wouldn't let him, and if they did, the parents wouldn't let him. I think you're okay."

"But she really scared me when she told me that."

"Sometimes kids think its funny to scare other kids with stories like that."

"Why?"

"I don't know, baby. I don't know."

Comments

Claire said…
lol. At least you didn't answer her "why?" with my standard response of "because people are stupid like that". I should really try the "I don't know" response from time to time. I'll be on the look out for the Mayor's henchman next time I'm at the park.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer