Repost--Warning: It's All Being Graded

Due to the fact that I am grumpier than should be humanly possible (and I've scratched out about four potential posts) I've decided to do a re-post. Since I have so many new readers this shouldn't be a big issue. Hopefully tomorrow I will be more cheerful. :)

Sept. 9, 2009:
photo is from 10/2010
Being a parent is a struggle. Don't get me wrong, it's an adventure as well, but it's an adventure with many bumps in the road.

Like when you find poop smeared on the bathroom wall and begin wondering whose hands are clearly not clean. That's definitely up there on the list of "Things I'd Rather Not Deal With."

Other list makers would be the toy in the unflushed toilet, the soaking-wet roll of toilet paper sitting on the counter, or the wet toilet seat in the middle of the night.

You might be thinking that all parental struggles are centered around the bathroom. This assumption would likely land any babysitter in a heap of trouble.

Anticipating the unanticipatable is the true mark of a parent.

For instance:

Knowing that the shoe in your two year old's hand is about to be thrown into the dog kennel (the trick is being fast enough to stop it).

Knowing when "My tummy hurts" means "I don't want to do chores" and when it means "Grab a bucket Mom, I'm about to vomit."

Knowing your pile of folded clothes will never win in battle with the toddler.

My favorite unanticipatable, however, is the immense silence--the calm before the storm, the eye of the hurricane, the tide before the tsunami--that marks true destruction and mischief like eating a tube of toothpaste or tearing pages out of books.

Then there are the struggles that come from innocent curiosity.

"If they can't have babies then maybe they should practice the sex thing more." How does a parent respond to these? After all you are the one who taught them in the first place surely you have an explanation for:

"Why does the baby keep biting your breast?"

"Why can't I kiss you like Daddy does, I love you too!?"

"Why can't we say 'crap.' You do?"

There are days, and more recently nights, when I consider my options on more children. I truly love all of mine with the fierceness of a mother bear, but it seems as if getting up four times a night was easier when I was 21. Then again, at 21 I had one child and plenty of time for naps. Now I have four... three of which get up at night still and two who, when unsupervised for any substantial length of time, wreak havoc on my house.


So I consider my options and I try to have patience. Maybe someday I'll want more children, maybe I'll feel that burning desire within my womb... someday, but not today. Definitely not today.

Which makes me wonder, does my Mommy GPA go down  for not smiling through it all? I've been taught that enduring to the end doesn't mean surviving to the end. So are there marks against me for hiding out in my bedroom? Taking longer than needed in the bathroom? Giving the kids extra naps just because I need alone time?

How about locking them outside? Or threatening bodily injury (not inducing, just threatening)? What if I stick them in front of the TV all day long?

What makes an A+ and what makes a D in mothering?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't have time to leave a real comment right now, so I'll just say I HEAR YA!
Jennifer said…
I don't know - sometimes surviving to the end is the best I can hope for. If I get to the end of the day and everyone is still alive, with no traumatic Mommy screaming breakdowns happening, life is good. And if that means locking myself in the bathroom while small fingers get shoved under the door, and little voices ask, "Can you see me now, Mommy?" - well, a mother does what she's gotta do.

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer