Skip to main content

All Hallow's Eve

I'm not really a Halloween person. If it weren't for my kids I probably wouldn't do anything. I carve a pumpkin because they want to carve a pumpkin. I don't dress them up unless they want to be dressed up. Friends will ask me, what is Remewin going to be for Halloween, and I say, "a baby."

They ask, "what are you going to be?"

"A mom."

I won't apologize for it because I really don't care.

I don't like buying costumes, it seems rather overboard. So I make them.

Making costumes is probably the part I look forward to.
The part I actually enjoy.

Two years ago Vicbowin wanted to be a 'Sparkle Fairy.' Albowin wanted to be a knight (his costume is courtesy of some pretty cool uncles and a grandma)



















For Halloween last year Vicbowin wanted to be an Egyptian Princess. Albowin wanted to be a knight (again thanks to the uncles... note his shield).


















This year Vicbowin wants to be Hermione Granger and Albowin wants to be a Red Ninja, Iyawin will probably be a knight.

So we have a party to go to tonight and I'm not done with the costumes. I guess I'll be needing to work on that today. *sigh*

Maybe I should enjoy this a little more.

Comments

Kim Ayres said…
In one of the Addams Family movies, there's a line about dressing up, where Wednesday is asked why she doesn't have a costume on. She replies she's going as a serial killer and they look like everyone else...

:)
cannwin said…
I haven't seen that one in years. Maybe I'll use that one this year. That's funny.
Cari Hislop said…
Just got off the phone with my sister whose 7 yr old wants to be a "mime" my sister starts thinking black and white...no...it's a clown outfit...a specific clown outfit... and apparently no one's doing clown outfits where she lives. I told her to show the kid how to sew and let the kid make it... Helpful big sister that I am! He he he...

Popular posts from this blog

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

This was my week two craft for So You Think You're Crafty. I placed third that week for this one. I thought you might enjoy finding out how I made it.


I tried about a million different decorations before settling on one that didn't drown out my rings. I wanted them to the focal point. This is also why I went with black fabric and not something more vivid.

Don't be intimidated by the lack of 101 I'm giving you. It really is a straight forward sort of project. If you know how to use a glue gun without burning yourself you can do this. Just be sure to dust off your imaginative brain space first. :)

The one important thing you might be wondering is how I got the pink fabric to stick to the shoe. I really just Mod Podged it on.

There are several different ways to make ring tubes that you can find online. One I saw used that colored foam paper stuff that you find in the kids craft section. I thought that might have been easier, but I had scraps of batting lying around so I …

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

The problem with Anthropologie is that they cost way too much money. WAY TOO MUCH! I mean, come on--these book boxes:

Cost $68-$188!

Do you have that kind of money?

I don't, but you know what I do have? I have a library with a cart full of free books that no one really cares about! So guess what I did... I made my own (and then I gave them away because I really don't have anywhere to put them).

Here's how.
















What do you think?

I Am A Phoenix

This is a drawing I did right after my divorce, when I was trying to discover my life's course and who I was as a person. Divorce is this horrendously nasty thing that leaves a person with little to nothing of who they were before (at least that's how it was for me). My family was gone, at one point I had counted up blood/legal relatives that had stopped talking to me and it was nearly 60. Things were bad, but one of the recurring comments I heard from other divorcee's was 'Get bitter, or get better.' So I aimed for better. I came up with my own personal code of conduct (Quiet Dignity) and my own personal motto.

The motto the drawing is based off of is: 
"I am a Phoenix. I was born for the fire and I will rise from the ashes."
But, that's not all. Each aspect of the drawing has meaning. I researched these... so I hope I got them right. lol
I chose to make my image reminiscent of a mandala with the most significant parts at the very center. The shape i…