Hatred: Is It Worth It?

I've been doing a lot of blog surfing in the last few weeks. I've found a bunch of really fun sites and a bunch of really odd sites. I've also found a bunch of really angry sites.

This got me to wondering. It got me doing a little self-reflection.

One site in particular that I went to was quite humorous, I poked around a bit enjoying what I was reading. Then I went into her profile. It said how she was married, had kids, used to live in California and how she used to be a Mormon but had removed herself from them years ago. She went on to say that she was no longer affiliated with the 'Mormon Church' and in fact the 'Mormon Church' was the reason why she was so against organized religion.

This made me fairly sad and not just because I'm a member of said church.*

I am so glad that my life is not defined by the things that I hate. I'm grateful that when I write a profile about myself I can list, instead, those things that I love; my children, my husband, my relationship with Jesus Christ. If we are made up of our thoughts and actions I would like to think that mine make me a lovable person. I don't know very many people that hate me. I don't hate very many people either and any person that has ever made it onto that very short "unfavorable" list isn't someone I think about on a constant basis. In fact if there is something I find disdainful I remove it from my mind and dwell on those things that bring joy and light.

I don't have a list of the things I hate. I can't imagine what it would be like to be ruled so thoroughly by anger and hatred. It seems exhausting.

So it is sad to me to read about someone that is. How destructive to the soul that must be.

When I have a mere two paragraphs to describe who I am I hope that it will never include the things I hate and if it did I would hope that those closest to me would remind me of what is truly important in life. Because when it all melts down the reality is those things, those people that we hate are probably going on with their lives completely oblivious to our personal inferno and in the end the only ashes are our own.

----------------------

*Why one Earth is it that people who leave my church begin referring to it as the 'Mormon Church,' when they very well know that the name of the church is 'The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.' There's a huge distinction there and it seems as if the only time it is ever referred to as the 'Mormon Church' is when people are trying to tear it down (or just don't know).

Comments

Kaz said…
Yes, I think that I completely agree on all of what you said. Some people just really need to calm down and enjoy life I mean we dont get to be here for long and do we really want all of our earthy memories to be of anger and hate? I know I dont:) So i do also try to remember only the good (and funny, but usually that is not the good) and to be thankful even when sometimes it may be easier to not be :)

Popular posts from this blog

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

Mutterings of a Middle-Aged Dreamer