This is a half done project. I wan to add a 'frame' around the mirror to make it a floor mirror, but that means going to the lumber yard and, well as you may know... I avoid the lumber yard. So my mirror remains undone.
I thought I'd share the 'so far' of it anyway.
Background: You might be wondering how this project cost me nothing. Well, it's because this is an 'extra' mirror. I replaced it with a new one in the bathroom and Ralexwin refused to get rid of this one. So for months it sat in our bedroom until I ran across a mirror redo post on another blog. (The mirror was pretty beat up).
So here's what I did:
First get ready to get dirty...
Then follow these steps--
1) Lay the mirror on it's face and pull off any wooden or cardboard backing. You want to get down to the silvering on the back of the mirror.
2) You want to scrape the silvering off... this takes some serious elbow grease--imagine scrubbing your oven--but I found that the best product to use is called Sol-U-Mel by Melaleuca. It was amazing how much my work load was cut down after I used that stuff. I'm totally sold on it now.
3) You're going to want to rub off (with a green scrub or a steel scrub) down to the glass so you can see the flooring underneath.
4) Take papers from something old... like an old lame book you have sitting in the back of your closet that you picked up at a library book sale and have actually never opened and is falling apart... and mod podge the pages to the spots you've scraped away. Let dry and then mod podge over the top.
5) Re-attach all the backing and you are done (except for clean up... that's the not fun part).
I've never seen so many people stand in front of a mirror and scratch at it. It's a real conversation starter if anything.