Skip to main content

10 Stories/10 Years: Story #1

Journal Entry February 1, 2000:

--- I'm in love. It's not like anything I've ever known. I want to marry him. I want to be with him for all eternity. I would follow him anywhere and that's that. I love him and I want no one else...

My roommates are placing bets on how long it is until we get married.---




The Meeting:

When it came time to decide which college I should go to I had my heart set on a small town Junior College called Snow. However, my brother and sister-in-law nagged me about making such an 'uninformed' decision and convinced me to go to a College Fair with a friend of mine.  I condescended to go but made a bee-line for the Snow College table barely glancing at any of the others.

Set up next to the table of choice was another, brighter, table for a school I had never heard of. The guy was friendly and explained that Dixie College (as it was called then) was located at the very South-West tip of Utah.

To say that my feelings in that moment were profound would be an understatement.

I instantly and unequivocally knew that Dixie was where I would go to school. With Snow promptly forgotten, I took all the needed paperwork and headed home with a new direction for my life.

That isn't to say I wasn't scared out of my mind... I tried to back out of moving several times before my family literally packed my car for me and I  in August of 1999 I found myself on that long and lonely stretch of I-15 that leads from Idaho to St. George, Utah.

When I pulled into my apartment complex and saw, for the first time, my life as an adult staring back at me I was overwhelmed with a sense of what might come. I couldn't get over all the possibilities of every person I met, perhaps this roommate will be a life long friend, maybe that girl will be someone who helps me if my car breaks down. Every person had meaning lingering in their countenance. My thoughts were stuck in this mode all day.

My parents helped unpack my bags then left for their respective hotels and I was alone with the first two of five roommates I would have.

I began unpacking and making niceties when their was a loud pounding on the door to our apartment. The girls smiled and opened it to a pack of rowdy guys in their early twenties.

My rommates introduced me one by one until finally pointing at a freckle faced guy in red shorts.

"This is Ralexwin." Em said.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Nice to meet you." He replied.

I was wearing a pink spaghetti strapped tank-top with butterflies on it and a pair of shorts.

The first thought I had about the polite guy I'd just met was 'I wonder if he's the guy I'll marry?'

Five minutes later I found out he was dating my roommate, Em.

Thirty minutes later I found myself in the car with them, third wheeling on their date to Vegas.
 
----
I am linking to these blog hops--here.

Comments

tips4green said…
Hi there! I am your newest follower! Found you on Green Follow Friday! Great Blog!!

Thanks,
Alissia

http://tips4green.blogspot.com
Ron Cooper said…
Following you already on Friendly Friday! My fan page, “Inspire!” has quotes, poems and stories to inspire readers. I’d like to invite you to stop by!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inspire/338562522284?ref=ts
Polly Blevins said…
I am way glad he chose you instead of Em. She is alright but not as cool as you.
Hi there! Stopping by from the blog hop! Hope you will come and visit us at www.justmarriedwithcoupons.com

Thanks =]
Helena said…
Hey there! I'll have to come up and do catch up on the stories! I'm a new follower from Social Parade Friday at Smart and Trendy Moms!
Biljana said…
Hi, thanks for visit my blog:)
I am glad, that a helped you:)
Hugs, Biljana
Great story! I like it! :)
Thanks for linking up at Home Grown Families Friday Blog Hop! We're following you now!
Tiffany
Metro DC Mom said…
Great story!

Stopping by from the green follow Friday.

Metro DC Mom
http://www.metro-dc-mom-blog.com
Kerin Lee said…
Hopping over from the blog hop! Happy Friendly Friday!

Hope to see you hopping okay to my blog to say "Hi". I always return the love (follows/comments). See you soon!

Kerin
hergoodintentions.blogpot.com
Twitter: @hgimomblog (I follow back)
Myya said…
This is going to be a fun series of posts. I love LOVE. Your journal entry at the begining was so sweet.
Kerin Lee said…
Just followed you!

My 3 year old flips out his lip still too. He also gives me the evil look when he is mad at me. It's identical to the look Max does on Max & Ruby ;)
Amber said…
Following from the Fun Follow Friday!

Hope you have a great weekend!

www.mysidewaysgravity.com
Hello I am a new follower. I would love a follower back at http://megankayden.blogspot.com/
livingoutloud said…
Hi! I am a new follower from the blog hop.
Big Hugs
Living Out Loud
http://lgreenss.blogspot.com/
funfunfun said…
Hi..following from bloghop...would love to have you follow back!
Have a look at my $35 CSN Giveaway while you are there.
http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/
Thanks for linking up to Bee Funny Friday Follow!
Lolo
www.crazyaboutmybaybah.com
Lara said…
Fun idea for a post! Sounds like you had an interesting start! :)
Hilary said…
Those first moments at college are sure a doozy, aren't they?
Shawnie said…
This is intriguing, I'll be back.
Marie said…
Hi there, I'm your newest follower via Boost your blog Friday. Great post...enjoyed reading it.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

Marie (hope you'll come by for a visit sometime, I love new followers.)
The Things We Find Inside
Colie's Kitchen said…
What a great blog!! I am really enjoying looking around. Thanks for sharing!! I am now a new follower!! Nicole @ colieskitchen.com BTW I found you on Bloggy Blog Hop!!
I love these kinds of stories. Can't wait to read them all!

Popular posts from this blog

Altered Shoe Art: Ring Holder Shoe Tutorial

This was my week two craft for So You Think You're Crafty. I placed third that week for this one. I thought you might enjoy finding out how I made it.


I tried about a million different decorations before settling on one that didn't drown out my rings. I wanted them to the focal point. This is also why I went with black fabric and not something more vivid.

Don't be intimidated by the lack of 101 I'm giving you. It really is a straight forward sort of project. If you know how to use a glue gun without burning yourself you can do this. Just be sure to dust off your imaginative brain space first. :)

The one important thing you might be wondering is how I got the pink fabric to stick to the shoe. I really just Mod Podged it on.

There are several different ways to make ring tubes that you can find online. One I saw used that colored foam paper stuff that you find in the kids craft section. I thought that might have been easier, but I had scraps of batting lying around so I …

How-To Pretend You Work For Anthropologie

The problem with Anthropologie is that they cost way too much money. WAY TOO MUCH! I mean, come on--these book boxes:

Cost $68-$188!

Do you have that kind of money?

I don't, but you know what I do have? I have a library with a cart full of free books that no one really cares about! So guess what I did... I made my own (and then I gave them away because I really don't have anywhere to put them).

Here's how.
















What do you think?

I Am A Phoenix

This is a drawing I did right after my divorce, when I was trying to discover my life's course and who I was as a person. Divorce is this horrendously nasty thing that leaves a person with little to nothing of who they were before (at least that's how it was for me). My family was gone, at one point I had counted up blood/legal relatives that had stopped talking to me and it was nearly 60. Things were bad, but one of the recurring comments I heard from other divorcee's was 'Get bitter, or get better.' So I aimed for better. I came up with my own personal code of conduct (Quiet Dignity) and my own personal motto.

The motto the drawing is based off of is: 
"I am a Phoenix. I was born for the fire and I will rise from the ashes."
But, that's not all. Each aspect of the drawing has meaning. I researched these... so I hope I got them right. lol
I chose to make my image reminiscent of a mandala with the most significant parts at the very center. The shape i…